My 2 cents is worth a lot, apparently.

Posted by Stewart Van Buskirk at 4:47 PM

Wednesday, October 08, 2008



OK, the other night I went to get some beverages (non-alcoholic but caffeinated, of course) for me and Kristine. I am a regular at our local 7-Eleven. Well not that regular, but let's just say that I recognized both of the cashier's working. Anyway, I get the drinks and go to check out and the total is $2.48. Ok, so I hand the cashier $2.50, he takes the money, puts it in the draw and just stands there. I wait a second thinking maybe he didn't realize that I had 2¢ coming back to me in change. I keep waiting and the guy doesn't want to make eye contact with me. He's messing around with some bag, and some other stuff on the counter. Finally I say, "are you going to give me my change?". He reacts with disdain and even a little bit of horror that I was actually asking for such a small amount of change to be returned. He says, "it's only two cents". Are you kidding me? Only two cents? at what point does he get to decide if I can get my change? Two cents, 10 cents, or 10 dollars, I don't care how much it is, it is my change. I mean it is only 2 cents and I was already planning on putting it in the tray for the next guy or gal that might find themselves a penny or two short. But that is for my fellow customer, not for the store owner who is already getting the better end of any transaction. It was for my fellow consumer who might come in, late at night, needing a caffeine fix or an Abba-Zabba, or some pork skins (which I would suggest against). It was for the common man, the everyday person needing a little boost. Not for some corporation like 7-Eleven that has already taken plenty of my money, and will probably get plenty more. I guess times are so hard that even Carl at 7-Eleven, needs to try and steal a few cents from anywhere he can. Who knew?

11 comments:

Mandy Coffey said...

ooooooo That aggravates me too! The nerve. Seriously. Its not about the pennies its the principle of the matter. Totally. You should see the blog Jonathan and i made back in Feb or March... we went to a sushi restaurant and the waiter actually told us we weren't allowed to order what we wanted, he said he was just going to bring what HE thought we'd want. Your post kind of reminded me of that cause when we put up the fight we got the same reaction.

The Kneeland Family said...

Wow! That is pretty big on Carl's part. I can't believe he just thought that, that is okay. Glad you called him on it.

Cami said...

I love this post! You're a good story teller! I am a 7 eleven regular myself. My sons calls it "eleven".

Unknown said...

You should have opened a pack of gum in front of him and taken just one stick and when he freaks out tell him innocently, "what? It's just one stick." Oh, and then on your way out, as he's watching you in disgust, toss the two pennies in the parking lot. hahaaha

Tara said...

But 7-11 employees need tips! I know what I'm talking about, because I used to work there. If you collect 2 cents from every customer, you can maybe save up enough to buy a ... SLURPEE!

korie said...

Stew,

You should have busted out the change belt!

Nate

steph said...

Dude, I am calling foul on you on this one. Don't get me wrong, that guy was a jackhole for trying to keep the change, I mean no man should be taking your money.It ain't right. But don't try to get all Barack McCain on me and say the 2 cents was for the everyman. You put that 2 cents back in your pocket and when you get 3 more you go and buy me a chic-o-stick or a pack of now n' laters. Now that's doing something for the everyman and now you got my vote.

Mandy Lowry said...

My blood pressure was rising as I was reading this. Good for you! I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

Timbo said...

Stew, they are "pork rhinds" and here in the South, they are way GOOD EATS!! I especially enjoy the BBQ ones. I love the fact that you are out of the closet with the fact that you need a good late night caffeine fix now and again!! What is your vice? Are you truly a white trash man of the night, drinking MT. DEW?

Your Brotha! (from the same motha of course!)

dallin+michelle said...

on nice work stewart! pennies are money too. and the principle is there... the change is yours to decide what YOU want do to with it. if they have a problem with it they can raise the price 2 cents then call it an even 2.50. until the penny is out of process, collect 'em all!!... i like the part you said you waited for your two cents and he didn't make eye contact and hoped you'd just overlook it... HA!

Mad Queen said...

Okay, I am totally laughing on this post... so dang funny! Especially the part when "Carl" did not make eye contact. H E L L O !!!??? "Oh Carl..." what is that line from? Clue Benjamin Linus says it very "buddy-like". Wow, you know people are hurting or mctarded when they don't want to give you your 2 cent change. Sounds like typical California service.... probably too lazy to stop and give you change, or maybe he wants to be sure he has some extra change in there for when he balances at the end of his shift... Oh well, that's my 2 cents worth!