Mission Time

Posted by Stewart Van Buskirk at 9:24 AM

Friday, September 11, 2009


March 2009: I have been excited for this day since Kirra started school. I have always loved the missions. The history, the culture, and especially the look. I would build my house to be a true mission style, if I could. (not the cookie cutter tract homes that "say" mission style) Finally the day is here. I remember how fun it was for my own mission. We choose one that was close to home, since we started on it late. (We had just finished her science project the week before. Bad planning from the school. Sheesh!) She chose Mission San Gabriel, about 30 min. from home. She loved it! There were so many more pictures we took, because everything was so cool! She even got to ring the bell. Here are a few highlights. It was fun to see all the other 4th graders there doing the same thing as us. :) And, yes, Malia is wearing gloves. She is so much more fancy than I ever thought my children would be. And we love her more for it!

2 comments:

Casey said...

How fun. I remember doing my CA mission in 4th grade also. In fact I was just telling someone this afternoon at playgroup about that project.

colleeeen said...

I love the missions, too. I think that's why I'm so in love with staw-bale and cob houses, because they so closely mimic that old adobe style.